We are so excited about teaching music at Ark John Archer Primary Academy. Music is a universal language that embodies one of the highest forms of creativity. A high-quality music education should engage and inspire pupils to develop a love of music and their talent as musicians, and so increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement. As pupils progress, they should develop a critical engagement with music, allowing them to compose, to perform and to listen with discrimination to the best in the musical canon.
The aims of teaching music at Ark John Archer Primary Academy are to:
- Promote enjoyment in music
- Promote self-expression
- Promote participation and performance in singing and instrumental activities.
To achieve these objectives, we will have singing assemblies every Monday afternoon. We will work on a wide repertoire of songs linked to our very important school values and main events during the year (harvest festival, Christmas, Diwali, etc).
Every term children are offered music sessions across the different year groups:
- Music specialist who provides a set of music teaching activities to support the revised English National Curriculum from September 2014. We create a topic-based, cross-curricular approach to support children's learning in music and across other subjects through music.
- Year 2 to Year 6: School Choir (during lunchtime on Mondays). This is an extra-curricular activity offer to Middle and Upper phase pupils, which provides children with the opportunity to perform to different audiences inside and outside of school.
- Children are also given the opportunity to join Keyboard club after school . Pupils have really enjoyed this opportunity and we have had already had a pupil identified as showing a real gift for music!